Friday, July 07, 2006

Health & Positive Thoughts

I hurt my back, again. What is it that keeps me on track with understanding what my health perserving boundaries are? Each time it happens in exactly the same way - I see something that bothers me and it needs to be lifted: first time, cement bag was on my way; second time, child that was bored and I picked it up to play with it; third time, 15 chairs needed to be mended; fourth time, flower pot was to big for one person to carry. Each time I was there to find out that my back is not as strong as I wanted it to be. Lesson learned - lift weight using my legs!

How long does it take to listen to the body signs and act accordingly? How many time have I ignored what my body was telling me just to be able to induldge a bit more in life temptations - food, drinks or any other available pleasures that modern living abundantly offers?

I find Luisa Hey's work very helpful for this. According to her each physical symptom of illness or injury resides in a negative thinking pattern. The whole concept seems so simple and gives us, cognitive thinkers, full responsibility for everything that happens to us. So, the formula in my case, according to LH is: Back Problems = financial insecurity; the way out of it is to have more abundant thoughts. I know I have a choice to believe that I hurt my back because I was lifting a heavy weight or that I have been having concerns about finances which influenced weakenning of my back and therefore exposed me to an injury. Trully, this year is getting heavy on our budget, we have moved to a more expensive place, so far I have made 2 trips to Europe, 1 to Sri Lanka, there is a wedding ahead of us. Each of the events is a happy thought but I know somewhere deep in my mind a worry resides - will these expenses be replenished soon?

While I have been lying in bed healing my back, I kept encouraging myself to continue having positive thoughts, minimize worry and look at the bright side of the whole picture. Hey, I am getting married, and it will all be ok, and the wedding will be great and we will live happily ever after.
:D

No comments: