Thursday, June 22, 2006

Less is More

Less is More

Recently we moved to a 300m2 apartment - amazing condo in central Beijing. Total dream come true: big terrace where our dog can run, beautifully decorated in wood, antique furniture lying graciously around. I loved it the moment I saw it, how couldn't I? One thing that bothered us was if it was too big for only two people and a dog? How do we justify the cost? Can we afford it? It took us three days of talking, reviewing our finances and it wasn't until we heard that there was another couple interested in it that we were closer to making our decision. Is that human or what?

I ask Master Liu about his opinion on many life and work decisions. His daoist perspective helps me find the middle way. The wisdom he speaks is so simple and down to earth that brings calmness in knowing what is right and natural. When I asked about this condo he didn't give any specific answer, he just shrugged his shoulders and asked if it was necessary to move. Of course I had many justifications why it was necessary: we could extend our stay in China, I could move the office to the ground floor, I could organize workshops, I could be happier... So we continued with practice and I walked my bagua circle relaxed while twisting my waist. The feeling of greatness overcame me when I finished. As he asked me how I felt (as he does each time after I walk the circle) I looked at him with unfocused eyes and said: “I feel like that apartment is too small for me now.” We moved in two days later.

Few months and two parties later... People are amazed with the space we live in, a local lifestyle magazine interviewed me and took photos of the space, our families are excited about the upgrade of our living standard and it all seems to be better than it was. I, however, started to experience some unsettledness. I see dirty spots and get annoyed, I am worried that furniture will get damaged, when flowers dry out too quickly I wonder if something is going wrong with the energy of the place. The worry bug entered my mind and eats me gently. So I asked Master Liu again: Why is it so?

He looked at me with a smile and just said: More is Less, Less is More.

It all came back to the same old stuff: the more one has the more she is tied to the human laws and removes herself from the natural laws. Being connected with the simplicity of the nature, Yin and Yang cycles of intertwining growth and decline is the basic natural law. I know I chose the new living space as my natural habitat which created somewhat unnatural feeling of attachment to the possessions. The lesson appears again – success is not measured by how much we have but how happy we are with it. I embrace the consequences of my decision and find ways of providing my spirit as the home of 300m2 condo rather than the other way around. It feels awkward at first but I take small steps – I am human after all.

Copyright 2006 Dalida Turkovic

No comments: